What's been going on...

Monday, January 6, 2014

I've been away from this neck of the woods for a few weeks. Some of you have missed me, and some probably not. And while I missed reading your blogs and keeping you up-to-date with our life and little AC, I was exactly where I needed to be.

I mentioned in my last post over two weeks ago that we were needing prayers for my papaw (yes, papaw, not pawpaw) for his heart surgery. On Monday, December 16th, my papaw was rushed to the hospital with breathing problems and it resulted in his Dr's agreeing that he should have open heart surgery (triple bypass and aortic valve replacement). I went to the hospital a few days before his surgery to spend some time with him, not knowing that would be the last time I truly got to spend time with the papaw I'll always remember.

Thanksgiving 2013
Monday, December 23rd, he went back for his surgery. The Mr and I weren't able to be there due to an OB appointment in Bham late that afternoon. I sent text messages back and forth with my family asking for details, and was finally told an hour before our appointment that the surgery didn't go as planned and the next few hours were very critical. I was crushed by the news and sad I wasn't there, but my parents told me that our appointment for AC was where we needed to be because there was nothing I could do at the hospital.

Christmas Eve, we loaded the vehicle and headed to Mississippi for the hospital. Papaw made it through the night and was in CVR. My dad arranged with his nurse for us to come back as soon as we got there to see him, even though it wasn't visiting hours. That was when I was told how serious it really was. However, dad did ask him to open his eyes and he did and nodded to our comments and questions. If any of you are friends with me on Facebook, I'm sure you saw my updates every day.

Christmas Day didn't feel like Christmas. I'm not sure anyone really felt like celebrating because our minds were all focused on what was going on at the hospital. We did go visit my mom's side of the family for a few hours before heading back up to the hospital for the last visit of the night.

The day after Christmas, I got a text from my dad telling me that papaw was off the vent and he was talking. The Mr had planned to hunt, and I told him to go on that I would be fine going to the hospital alone. I think everyone's mood lightened up some knowing that even though his Dr's didn't think he would make it two hours past surgery, that he was awake, off the vent and pacemakers. They even commented that it wasn't their doing, it was definelty a divine intervention from above. And we knew that it was all the prayers our family and friends were sending up constantly for him. When it was my turn to visit, he was asking about the "deer slayer" (aka, the Mr) and I showed him our most recent pictures of AC and told him she had the Henson chubby cheeks. He laughed and cried, and I was so thankful to share that moment with him.

That Friday, the Mr joined me again for his visit. We were the only ones there for that timed visit so we got to spend the entire 30 minutes with him. He was in a lot of pain from coughing, but we had a great conversation. He and the Mr talked about hunting and we talked about the New Year coming up and all the changes that would be made in our family. He kept asking us who was going to rock AC when she was born and we told him he would. He just shook his head no, and at that point I think he knew that he would never get the chance to rock her. And that was hard for me to accept.

We left the next morning headed for North Mississippi to have Christmas with the Mr's side of the family. I didn't want to leave, but I knew I needed to go. Papaw had a major set back that day around noon, and God gave him another miracle. As soon as we got back Sunday afternoon we headed back up to the hospital for a visit. He was back on the vent and couldn't speak to us, but he opened his eyes and looked at me and nodded when I told him I loved him. That was the last time I saw his beautiful eyes or had any reaction from him to what I was saying. However, we continued to visit him the following two days.

On New Year's Eve, papaw was called home. I was blessed to have 32.5 years with him. But I will miss him every day! At his funeral, the preacher mentioned how he would ask papaw a question and he would just shake his head, but never say no. That's one of the things I'll always remember about him, that head shake of his.

Papaw was a very talented guitar player. He was in a band, and they played every Saturday night. As a matter of fact, the Mr and I joke that he was 84 and stayed up longer than we did, ever! He recorded a CD of his guitar playing a few years ago. And the Mr and I have decided that we will play that CD for AC at night for her to go to sleep with. While she might not have met her great grandfather here on Earth, she has a wonderful guardian angel watching over her from above.

I want to thank y'all for your prayers, texts, twitter and Facebook messages, etc over the past three weeks. They were felt and our entire family is very grateful.  


  1. Joy, again, so sorry for the loss. I think it's awesome that he recorded a cd. What a special gift to share with the great grandchildren. Praying for peace for you and your family during this hard time.

  2. Joy, I am so sorry for your loss. Sadly, I know what you are going through as tomorrow marks the one-year anniversary of my Nana's passing. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, truly. I know how hard it is to lose a family member during the holidays. I'm just glad you had the time with him like you did. I loved seeing the pictures you posted of him on Twitter playing his guitar, and it's so cool that he made a CD that you can treasure for years to come. I wish you and your family comfort during this tough time.

  4. So very sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family, and no doubt, little AC will get a few months with him in Heaven before she makes her debut here on Earth!

  5. Of course my heart is still so heavy for you, and I wish you didn't have to feel this grief and loss. I love the idea of playing the CD for AC. That will be a wonderful way for her to know such a great man! Love you sister!

  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. Grandfathers are so special. I know you will miss him.

  7. Joy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had some special time with him.

  8. I'm still praying for you and your family. So sad to learn of your loss, but happy that you were able to spend such special time with your grandfather. Glad to see you back! Missed you!!

  9. I am so sorry to hear your news. I can imagine how hard it must be, especially with all those pregnancy hormones swirling about. I wouldn't worry about your Grandpa not getting a chance to rock AC. He is getting to meet her first! I am sure he is up in heaven rocking her and telling her all about the family and friends who are patiently waiting for her arrival. She's in good hands until then.


Thanks for taking a moment to read the Sowell Life.

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan